8 Reasons Your AC Is Not Turning On & How To Fix Them
If you’re living in Chester and experiencing a hot summer without a functioning air conditioner, it can be a frustrating and uncomfortable situation. Before you call for AC service in Chester, it’s helpful to understand why your air conditioner is not turning on because there are a few easy things you can do to troubleshoot.
Here are eight potential reasons why your AC isn’t turning on and what you can do to fix them. We also note the more complex issues in which we recommend a professional. Give us a call if your air conditioner isn’t working right!
- Tripped Circuit Breaker: You should check your circuit breaker if your AC isn’t turning on. It’s possible that the circuit has tripped, which means it has shut off the flow of electricity to your AC unit. This can be caused by a power surge or an electrical short in your AC unit. To fix this issue, locate your circuit breaker box and look for the switch corresponding to your AC unit. Flip the switch to the off position and back on again to reset the circuit.
- Dirty Air Filter: Another common reason for an AC not turning on is a dirty air filter. When the air filter becomes clogged with dirt, dust, and debris, it can restrict the air conditioner’s airflow. This can cause the unit to shut off or not turn on at all. To fix this issue, locate the air filter and check to see if it needs to be replaced. If the filter is dirty, replace it with a new one. You should replace your air filter monthly to ensure optimal performance.
- Thermostat Issues: If your AC isn’t turning on, there may be an issue with your thermostat. A malfunctioning thermostat can cause your AC unit to not turn on or turn on and off erratically. To fix this issue, check the battery in your thermostat to ensure it is charged. If the battery is low or dead, replace it. You should also check the settings on your thermostat to ensure it is set to “cool” and that the temperature is set lower than the current room temperature.
- Refrigerant Leaks: If your AC unit isn’t turning on, there may be a leak in the refrigerant line. A leak in the refrigerant line can cause your AC unit to lose its ability to cool your home. You’ll need to call for professional AC service to fix this issue. Our trained HVAC technicians will be able to locate the leak and repair it.
- Electrical Issues: If your AC unit isn’t turning on, there may be an electrical issue with your unit. This could be a problem with the wiring, the capacitor, or the compressor. Make sure to call our professionals right away to safely fix this issue. Our trained technicians can diagnose the electrical problem and make the necessary repairs.
- Clogged Drain Line: The drain line may be clogged if your AC unit isn’t turning on. The drain line is responsible for carrying excess water away from the unit. When the drain line becomes clogged, it can cause the unit to shut off or not turn on at all. To fix this issue, locate the drain line and use a bent wire or a small pipe cleaner to clear any debris blocking the line.
- Failed Compressor: It’s possible that the compressor may have failed if your AC unit isn’t turning on. The compressor is a vital component of your AC unit and is responsible for pressurizing and circulating the refrigerant. If the compressor has failed, it will prevent your AC unit from turning on. A trained technician can diagnose the issue and replace the compressor if necessary. Consult one of our professionals if you need help diagnosing or repairing your AC unit.
- Age of the Unit: If your AC unit is older and needs constant repairs, it may have simply reached the end of its lifespan. While this can be a significant investment, a new AC unit will be more energy efficient and ultimately save you money on energy costs in the long run.
Schedule AC Service In Chester With Volpe Service Company
If your AC unit is not turning on, it’s likely because of one of the reasons listed above. If you cannot troubleshoot the issue yourself, don’t hesitate to call us for professional AC service in Chester. Our team at Volpe Service Company is available to help diagnose and fix any problems you may be experiencing. Contact us today to schedule an appointment!